The 1861 Census Reports indicate that Vochriw, as it is recorded, comprised 9 dwellings with a population of a total of 28 males and 10 females of which 13 were children and is identified as a seperate place to that of CaeGlas which comprised 12 dwellings with a total of 46 males and 23 females of which 16 were children. All children being aged 14 or below. Thus the total population numbered 107.
It would appear that the Dowlais Iron Company bought the field and built houses on it which was known as the Cae Glas estate.
Cae Glas means green field. The word glas meaning green or blue until green was given its own name of gwyrdd.
Pentwyn was recorded as Blackwell Village and had 38 dwellings with a total of 70 males, 52 females and 69 children.
Penybank was recorded as Pentre Penybank and comprised 23 dwellings together with Penybank Farm, Ty Mawr, which was located within the top field of Penybanc Farm just below the Roman Road and the Standing Stone, Cwm Llwydrew Farm and Glan Bargod the location of which is not known. Thus the population comprised 44 males, 28 females and 45 children giving a total of 117.
The population came from all over the UK and beyond, and the following is a sample of their origin
During the following 10 years, Ysgwyddgwyn increased in size five-fold, and the beginning of the village of Fochriw was born as a direct result of the opening of the Gwrydd Iron Ore mine in 1857 and Colliery, which was sunk in 1857 with the first coal being produced in 1863.