The first mention of Fochriw Brass Band was in Merthyr Express newspaper cuttings of 1887 when it was advised that, on 20 August 1887, the Fochriw Brass Band led the Fochriw Church Sunday School procession and played very well considering that they had only been practicing for 12 months. Therefore it may be assumed that it was formed in 1886. The conductor was Mr. David Williams.
Mr David Phillips of Pontlottyn was identified as the bandmaster at a concert in November 1887.
Mr Dawson conducted the band at Machen on 26 August 1899.
In March 1903 the conductor was Mr William Powell. The band was practicing for the forthcoming Abergavenny and Senghenydd contests.
During August 1902 the Fochriw Brass Band and the Dowlais Volunteer Band, followed by Keir Hardie M.P., led the procession at the South Wales Miners' Federation Demonstration at Dowlais. The fight over the sliding scale and the eight hour day were the main subjects of the speeches that followed the procession.
The following is part of a report in the 26 March 1904 issue of the Merthyr Express
Presentation Through the departure of Mr. David Jones for Rhymney, the Fochriw Brass Band has lost a most capable secretary. About two years ago, the Band was on the point of being disbanded. Then Mr. Jones was prevailed upon to undertake the duties of secretary, and so ably did he discharge his work that band was again, in a very short time, on a sound basis. Indeed, more contests were attended during the season, than in many other similar periods of the band's existence, and the numerous prizes captured have placed the band once more in an honourable position. A few weeks ago, a presentation committee was formed with Mr. Charles Payne as chairman, Mr. Daniel Jenkins as treasurer, and Mr. J. Pugh as secretary. On Friday evening last, a smoker was held, at which Mr. Jones was made the recipient of a handsome marble clock supplied by Messrs. Mappin and Webb. It bore the following inscription: "Presented to Mr. David Jones by the committee and members of the Fochriw Brass Band for services rendered as secretary, March 18th, 1904." The chair was taken by Mr. J. H. Jones, M.E., the genial president of the band. After a rousing song by Mr. Charles Payne, Councillor Thomas, in the course of an able speech, attributed the success of the past season largely to the interest taken in his work by the secretary. Two capital songs having been rendered by Messrs. W. S. Williams and T. Davies, the chairman, in a witty speech, made the presentation. Mr Jones suitably responded. Mr. W. J. Powell, the popular conductor, then spoke in eulogistic terms of Mr. Jones' services, and he was followed by Councillor Jones. A