Noddfa in English means “Refuge”
The following was reported in the 30 June 1888 issue of the Merthyr Express
Anniversary Services Anniversary services were held at Noddfa Baptist Chapel on Sunday last. The Rev. B. D. Johns was the preacher.
The following was reported in the 3 October 1903 issue of the Merthyr Express.
“New Baptist Chapel for Fochriw: Foundation Stone-Laying The foundation stones of a new Baptist Chapel at Moore's-row, Fochriw, were laid on Tuesday morning. The new edifice will be on the site of the old chapel, and will accommodate nearly 450 persons. The exterior will be attractive, and the interior well-arranged. A gallery around the building is provided for, and Sunday School accommodation in the basement. The premises will be lit by acetylene gas. The contractor is Mr. W. Watts, Dowlais, and the architects are Messrs. James and Morgan, Cardiff. At the ceremony, the Rev. L. P. Davies, pastor, presided. Stones were laid by Mr. M. Roberts-Jones, Cardiff, the solicitor to the Rhymney Valley Miners' Association; Rev. J. R. Jones, Tabernacle, Pontypridd, on behalf of Mrs. Hopkin Morgan; Miss Bevan, Dowlais; and Miss Watts, Dowlais. Amongst others who took part in the proceedings were the Revs. Llew Morris, Pengam; L. John, Troedrhiwfuwch, Jas. Jones, Fochriw; R. Jones, G. R. Jones, Pontlottyn; D. B. David, Tredegar; H. Thomas, Deri; Messrs. T. Bevan, Dowlais, former manager of the Fochriw Colliery, and T. Evans, the secretary of the church. The collections for day amounted to over £100. A handsome silver trowel was presented by the architects and contractor to each person laying a stone. The visitors were entertained by Dr. Eleazer Davies, and Mr. J. H. Jones, the resident manager of the Fochriw Pits”.
The colliery manager's daughter Miss Bevan laid the foundation stone of Noddfa Baptist Chapel, which was located opposite Moores Row, in 1903. The chapel closed in 1981. In latter years its